HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    BLOG ROLL    CONTACT

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Heartbroken

I'm still shocked and heartbroken about yesterday's events in Connecticut. I just weep for those children who were so scared, for the families who lost young innocent children - either to the gunman or because they had to witness something so frightening - and for the entire community who will never live life the same way again.

I think about the parents who had to go home last night to half-opened advent calendars, to Christmas presents unopened, to the cereal bowl left on the counter, to the toys left on the floor in the living room. How can they move anything, change anything, and get on with their lives?

It's unimaginable, what those families are going through. It was a senseless act that will terrorize hundreds or thousands of people for the rest of their lives. I feel like I can hear the screams of the children and the sobbing of the friends and families every time I think about it. I just don't understand how our world can be so horrible.

I feel strange about going back to normal life - like it's minimizing the tragedy and the grief of the families. No wonder we all put our heads in the sand when something like this happens. We can't internalize the grief of everything bad in the world, or we would just be paralyzed.

One thing I'll be doing is sending a sympathy card to the school. It may sound trite, but I figure the least I can do is let them know I'm thinking of them, as millions of us are. I urge you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment